VA Disability for Camp Lejeune

You may be eligible to file a Camp Lejeune claim if you developed certain health conditions after serving at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River in North Carolina. At VetLaw, our VA-accredited lawyers can help you with the application process and with appealing a denial of benefits. We’re a veteran-owned firm and know how overwhelming it can be to apply for VA disability benefits.

Our practice’s sole focus is to help veterans obtain the benefits that they qualify for. We do not charge any upfront fees. You only pay us if your benefits are approved. Give us a call or contact us online to get started.

What Are Camp Lejeune claims?

Veterans who served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River during a certain time period were exposed to toxic chemicals in the drinking water. The VA pays out monthly benefits to veterans who developed an illness as a result of their exposure to this contaminated water.

Who is eligible for Camp Lejeune claims?

According to the VA, you are eligible to file a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim if you:

  • Served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River “for at least 30 cumulative days from August 1953 through December 1987,” and
  • Were diagnosed with one or more presumptive conditions listed on the VA Camp Lejeune Water Contamination webpage.

If you meet these requirements, you should qualify for benefits on a presumptive basis. However, even if you don’t suffer from a presumptive condition, if you served at least 30 days during the time period noted above, you can and should file a claim for any disability that you feel is related to your exposure to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

How do I apply for Camp Lejeune benefits?

Before you file a Camp Lejeune VA disability claim, you must have certain documentation:

  • An official diagnosis from your doctor
  • Evidence that shows you served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River during the specified time frame – though this evidence may already be in your VA claims file

Many veterans support their claim with medical records, a letter from their doctor, service records, and buddy statements.

When you’re ready, you can file a VA disability claim in one of four ways:

  • Online
  • In person at your local VA office
  • By mail
  • With the help of a VA disability lawyer

When you work with our lawyers, we manage the paperwork and deadlines for your appeal. All you have to do is attend your doctor appointments.

What happens if my Camp Lejeune claim is denied?

We know it’s discouraging to file for Camp Lejeune benefits, only to have your claim denied. There are many reasons why the VA denies disability claims, including:

  • You submitted the wrong form
  • The VA asked for more information and you missed the deadline
  • The VA determined that your claim lacks evidence, whether a nexus to service or proof that you served in the right place or at the right time

If the VA denies your Camp Lejeune claim, you have the right to file an appeal. Our lawyers can help you appeal a VA disability denial even if we didn’t work on your initial application.

How a lawyer can help with a Camp Lejeune claim

One challenge that veterans face when filing a Camp Lejeune claim is a lack of service records. Many veterans do not have the paperwork from their service that was 35+ years ago. We can help veterans track down the necessary documents that prove they served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River.

If your health condition worsens, our lawyers can help you pursue a disability rating increase. And if you’re unable to work because of your Camp Lejeune-related illness, we can help you file a Total Disability Individual Unemployability (TDIU) claim. Call our office or contact us online to learn more.

Matthew  White


Appellate Attorney Matthew White represents veterans before the Board of Veterans Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.

Brendan Garcia


Owner and Lead Attorney Brendan Garcia represents veterans in all 50 states with their VA Disability Appeals, in all stages of the VA Appeals process.

Contact a VA Disability Lawyer Today

A VA Disability Lawyer’s role is to assist you throughout the confusing and often frustrating appeals process if you have been denied benefits, and assist you with establishing service connection for your Camp Lejeune claim, along with any other disabilities you may wish to appeal. Generally, you need to be denied at least once before an attorney can assist, but once a lawyer is involved they will often be able to quickly determine what needs to be done in order to prove entitlement to service connection and establish VA compensation.

If your VA disability claims relating to Camp Lejeune have been denied, be sure to contact the VA Accredited Attorneys at VetLaw right away to help make sure you get the entitlement you deserve.

Our lawyers do not charge any upfront fees. It costs you nothing to get answers to your questions, and have us file a Camp Lejeune water claim or appeal on your behalf. Our lawyers only collect a fee if the VA approves your benefits. If your claim is ultimately denied, you owe us nothing.

If you were stationed at Camp Lejeune after December 1987, you’re not covered under the presumptive period for filing a water contamination claim. However, you could file a VA disability claim for any conditions you feel are related to service. Contact our office if you have any questions about your eligibility for VA disability benefits or if you have any questions about how to file an appeal.

Our Team Is Eager To Hear About Your Case!

Please fill out the form below, or give us a call, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. The more detail you can provide, the better we can determine if we can help you. (And even if we can’t take your case, we will do our best to offer other options, and point you in the best direction we can!)

  • Max. file size: 50 MB.